Monday, March 17, 2008

Unstuffing might be harder than I thought

I live in a small apartment with small closets. I have three children and lots of books. I used to have even more books, but I decided that most of them were clogging up my life and that realistically I wasn't going to read them again, so I either sold them, gave them to friends, or donated them to the library. It sure made moving easier, but I do kind of miss the scenery.

I DON'T like to look at my family's junk strewn over every single horizontal surface in the house. But that's what I look at every single day. Sometimes I sit in a room, look around, and think about how many hundreds of things are in that room, most of which I don't use, and almost all of which I bought. What a waste.

But there are plenty of things that I do use. For example, I have two staplers. I use them both. I like to have one at home and one at school. Sometimes I carry one around in my backpack when my students have to turn in work. It's silly maybe, but I like to have two staplers. So I'm not getting rid of them.

Today, for my first bag of stuff to get rid of, I have the following:
Phone book & 8 old Newsweeks -- to be recycled/given to library (there is a bin of old magazines at the library for art projects, catching up on old news, etc.
Superman action figure with no head
Box for a toy doctor's kit -- we have two boxes, both missing a latch. I think one is enough.
Race track -- huge, and always leads to fights
Lacing toys
Sweatshirt -- I cannot figure out who left this at our house -- maybe it will find its owner in the laundry room
One shoe -- how did this happen?
Worduko book
Starbucks mug with lid -- I have a couple that I like better, and this is too heavy for me.

So all this fills up (quite well!) my first bag of stuff to get rid of. I'm a little worried about later in the week, though. It took about 15 minutes to gather this stuff up. The next few days might take longer because I'll have to dig stuff up. I did notice, though, that I have a dresser with a bottom drawer that doesn't open. I stashed some stuff in there months ago... couldn't have been very useful :)

Worms
Last night I watched the video on worm composting that is on 365 days of Trash. It doesn't seem as gross as I had feared, so I'm going to go for it! I'll have to make a spot for the worms (I knew I needed to declutter). I do a lot of cooking, and my children eat a LOT of fruit, and it's a shocking amount of food waste that goes into the trash. I hope the worms can handle it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tell me how the worms work

Grad Green said...

Basically you have red wiggler worms in a bin of some kind (we are going to use a layered bin system because I really want to avoid personal contact with the worms). You can feed them vegetable peelings, fruit, rice, coffee grinds...basically any kind of food waste. You should not feed them dairy or meat because then the system will get stinky. It's not supposed to smell. The worms can apparently eat quite a bit -- some sources say their weight in food waste every day.

We decided to go for vermicomposting instead of regular composting because it doesn't require much space (we're renters and don't have a yard) and because a compost tumbler requires a certain ratio of green and brown materials or it won't break down properly. We'll see how it goes. As soon as I get the worm farm and worms, I'll start posting about my personal experience.