Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Make Something New -- Onion Tart

A few weeks ago I made an amazing discovery -- onion tart. Wow! It's delicious and it's super cheap to make. A friend of mine brought some over and I liked it so much that I kept trying to save it for a time that I could really appreciate it. Because of all my waiting around for the perfect moment, C got to a good portion of the tart before I could.

This month, my goal is to make something new at least once a week. Something I've NEVER made before. I want to 1) get out of my food rut and 2) try to expand my horizons.

Although I am a major proponent of scratch baking, I don't make pie crust. I buy pie crust. It comes in a package, wrapped in plastic and it's pretty darn convenient.

But, what exactly is IN that packaged pie crust? And it's kind of expensive considering what I discoverd when I decided to make my own.

Tonight I made pie crust for my onion tart. All by myself. And I found out something amazing.

Pie crust has 3 ingredients:
-butter
-flour
-some spoonfuls of water

How can that be?

I whipped up the crust very easily. I'm not saying it was the best crust in the world, but I made it myself, and I am proud :)

I filled it with 3 large carmelized onions cooked in a few tablespoons of butter -- all of that mixed with 2 beaten eggs. The recipe I found did not call for cheese, but I had some fancy cheese and sprinkled it over the top.

Yum!

So, if you want to make onion tart, you only need a few ingredients that you probably already have. That is what is so genius about this recipe. All you need is:
onions
eggs
flour
butter
cheese (optional)
bacon (optional)
salt -- the recipe did not call for salt, but I put a little in.

No comments: