Thursday, September 11, 2008

Things that are Awesome

I've made many changes over the past year or so. Some are hard, some are easy, some are easy to stick with, and others.... well.... others I have flaked out on. Here's what's awesome:
  • maple syrup. 'nuff said. I realized that my brother (Gato Negro) has the real deal at his house. I asked him when he started buying it. He told me "when I started buying my own syrup". Take that gradgreen!
  • sugar. Why was I using Splenda? I was obviously brainwashed by Weight Watchers.
  • weight loss without lots of artificial foods
  • giving stuff to Goodwill -- I now have a permanent Goodwill box in the closet.
  • crayons (As you know, I have 3 little kids. Crayons are my favorite art supply. Why do markers even exist? Oh... to destroy my house... right...)
  • homemade pizza -- I got a bread machine and it has been worth it for the pizza dough alone
  • line drying clothes (this is C's department. Thank you!)
  • Murphy's oil soap for cleaning wood furniture -- bye bye Pledge.
  • cloth napkins
  • hankies
  • Craig's List
  • cloth diapers (I've been a total failure with nighttime cloth diapers, but I am convinced that cloth diapers made my little one potty train at two years old ... a whole year earlier than my other two children)
  • less/no TV -- we still use the TV to watch movies, but now we don't have any cable, which keeps us nice and commercial free :)
  • ceiling fans -- since we have moved to a place with fans in every room, we are able to keep the AC set at a higher temperature and be very comfy.
  • Wrap-n-mat to wrap sandwiches in for sack lunch. Very cute, creates its own placemat, and quite a conversation starter.
What hasn't worked out so well?
  • CSA -- It just didn't seem worth it and the food was rotting.
  • worm composting -- they freaked me out a little, and we killed them. Sorry wormies!
  • going car free/ car light -- very very hard with three little kids. The basic problem here is that I can't spend long periods of time on public transportation because I have to get home and pick up/ take care of my children.

No comments: