Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wii -- have I gone over to the dark side?

When I was growing up, we had Atari. My brother and I played it pretty obsessively, but we would sometimes tell our friends that it was broken because we eventually got sick of playing it all the time and wanted to hang out with our friends.

For Christmas, my husband bought me a Wii. I asked for it. No, really, I actually did ask for it. It wasn't for the kids. It wasn't for him. It's my Wii. That's actually pretty important to me because it means the kids have to ask me for permission to play it :)

So, what's going on? I'm not a video game sort of person anymore. I spend most of my time hanging out with my kids or reading.

Well, I have to confess. I like the Wii. It's fun. I can play it with the kids or with my husband or by myself. When people come over, we can bowl. It's fun. You get a little exercise. Sometime you don't want to think too much. Sometimes you just want to do something goofy. So, if it's to okay to go bowling, I figure it's okay to play Wii. Because the reality is... I like to bowl, but never go. It's too complicated with the kids. I don't like it enough to pay a babysitter.

So, the Wii gives us a fun family and friend activity when it's too hard to go out. And when it's freezing cold outside and drizzling, it is a way for the kids to burn off some energy.

Have I turned to the dark side? Mmmm... I don't think so.

No comments: