Sunday, April 13, 2008

Changes So Far

I really like it when other bloggers list changes that they have made (like No Impact Man recently did), so I thought I'd make my own list.

So far, we:
1. Started recycling.
2. Use only cloth napkins.
3. Use rags instead of paper towels.
4. Switched to cloth diapers & wipes for baby. **
5. Make our own bread.
6. Stopped using artificial sweetener.
7. Traded in one car for a scooter.
8. Ride bike/scoot instead of drive as much as possible.
9. Went camping over spring break instead of road trip.
10. Print on both sides of paper.
11. Use weird-shaped paper and envelopes for grocery lists and notes.
12. Print all work documents on both sides.
13. Stopped buying laundry detergent -- make our own.
14. Stopped buying liquid body soap -- use bar soap.
15. Bring own bags to grocery store.
16. Bring own bags and containers for bulk.
17. Bring own plates to picnics, etc.
18. Got rid of non-stick pans -- use stainless steel or cast iron. **
19. Turn off lights when not in use.
20. Conserve water in bath tub -- shared baths for kids.
21. Wash clothes in cold water.
22. Hang clothes dry.
23. Bring cup to coffee shop.
24. Use non-disposable coffee filter.
25. Buy fair-trade coffee.
26. Buy organic milk. **
27. Buy as much as possible used.
28. Stopped buying greeting cards -- homemade instead.
29. Reuse wrapping paper and gift bags.
30. Don't buy juice boxes for parties; serve juice with cups.
31. Bring basket of silverware to parties instead of disposable.
32. Bring disposable silverware and extra napkins home so they are not thrown in the trash.
33. Garden
34. Go to the library instead of buying books/videos
35. (I can't believe I forgot this one and had to come back) -- compost with WORMS

That's all I can think of for now. Here are the explanations for the starred items.
**4. Cloth diapers are totally awesome. I feel like a chump that I did not use them for my first two kids. They are inexpensive, they work well, and they have great re-sale value. That said, I could not find a good system for the night. My daughter pees A LOT at night. Even disposable diapers did not hold in the flood. Even a cloth diaper with a disposable doubler. Even two cloth diapers (and then she could barely walk because of all the bulk). The only thing that has worked is pull-ups. So, she wears a pull-up every night. :(
**18. I am afraid to get rid of the last pan because of pancakes. I will try them in cast-iron, but I am afraid they'll stick. Cast-iron is supposed to be naturally non-stick if it is properly seasoned, but that doesn't seem to be working so far.
**26. This took a long time. Organic milk is expensive and my children are milkaholics. BUT we finally made the switch (the increased price of regular milk actually helped.. when the difference was only a dollar, it didn't seem that bad.) I also buy organic yogurt, but I don't buy other organic milk products, which makes me feel hypocritical and bad.

Can you tell I'm suffering from environmental guilt? To be honest, today I'm pretty sick of feeling guilty. Now that I've made the list, I can see that I have made a lot of changes...

Do you suffer from environmental guilt? Do you ever just want to say "to heck with it all!"? What do you tell yourself?

3 comments:

Autumn said...

You are NOT alone! Cloth diapering at night is a HUGE challenge. There are some great tips I listed on one of my blog posts about nighttime cloth diapering. Let me know if you have any specific questions. There's no need for those pull-ups :P

Autumn Beck
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com

Anonymous said...

The list is great! Inspiring! Looking at your old posts, I found facts about the environmental stresses caused by beef production...I sent it to my family. So your word is being spread. -your colorado neighbor

Unknown said...

YES I suffer from environmental guilt. Anyone who cares at all does. BUT I figure I'm doing more than most, that I can help others by my example or by going through their trash to take out recyclables (yes I've done it), and that I'll keep changing for the better (easier when inspired by gradgreen!)

Environmental Guilt example. today at the grocery store I got tricked into eating a sample bc I was spacey when she asked. Then I realize I had this plastic thing in my hand. There was trash. I debated carrying it. I asked if the bag of ALL plastic wld be recycled. Lady had no clue. Debated taking her trash bag from her to recycle some of the crap. Decided that wld be weird. Left feeling like a typical throw away mentality American. Walked down the aisle of plastic water bottles by accident (that didn't help. at all).