Saturday, May 31, 2008

What Happens at Goodwill?

Today I dropped off 2 huge bags of stuff at Goodwill. The donation area was totally flooded with stuff -- piles and piles, almost reaching out into the street. The donation attendant said that he was overwhelmed and had never seen anything like it. I think that a lot of it is probably because at the end of May, a lot of students are graduating and moving out. This Goodwill is the closest one to the student housing. Maybe there is more to it, but I think it's pretty much graduation.

So, what happens to the things we donate at Goodwill? When I was younger, I thought that only poor people shopped at Goodwill -- that we were donating so that they would have something to wear, that they got the things for free or maybe at a really reduced price. I was wrong, but I'm still not totally sure how Goodwill works, so I decided to do a little research.

Where does the money go?
  • The money that Goodwill earns from selling donated stuff is used to fund education/work programs. According to Wikipedia, 84% of revenue is used to fund these programs. Goodwill is based on the philosophy of "a hand up, not a hand out".
  • According to the Goodwill web site, 1.1 million people benefited from Goodwill programs last year. Goodwill provides job training (from actually learning skills to learning how to write a resume, etc.) and employs people at the stores or in temporary jobs while they are being trained, so that they can begin receiving a regular paycheck. They also provide follow-up support. In addition, they offer on-line classes that can help people learn to use computer programs.
What happens to the stuff?
  • Things that can not be sold at a regular Goodwill are sent to a Goodwill outlet.
  • C volunteered a few hours at a Goodwill and found out that things that have been at the store for more than 2 weeks or so (apparently this information is on the tag) are sent to the outlet.
  • Some outlets sell stuff by the pound (wow). The outlet in Austin sells stuff at a fixed price. They rope off part of the store, trucks arrive and fill huge bins, and then they allow people in to attack the bins. It is a real frenzy (C has gone and says that I would freak out -- I don't like crowds). Many of the reviews on Yelp said that you should wear gloves to prevent exposure to germs/mystery fluids, but that it's fun and the prices are worth it.
  • Some things are sold at auction. Our Goodwill has an auction every Saturday at 1:00 pm. There is an auction book to bid on something if you can't be there live, but the only way that you'll win is if nobody at the auction wants to pay even $1 more than the last bid -- usually this is unlikely. The auction is really fun and low-stress.
  • Unsold clothes are "salvaged". They are baled and sold to recyclers, who turn them into carpet fibers, rags, etc. They may be exported to other countries.
Other Facts
  • Goodwill does accept returns. Leave the tag on and keep the receipt. I have returned a couple of items that I bought for the kids that did not fit. They were really nice about it.
  • Do not donate broken electronics to Goodwill. They test them. They can't sell broken stuff. Don't waste their time.
All in all, I think that Goodwill is a pretty cool company. The employees at my local store are all very friendly and I am glad to know that the company is giving people a helping hand. I am also happy that Goodwill keeps stuff out of landfills. I am able to find inexpensive clothing for myself and my family and also find an easy place to donate things I no longer need.

Do I always send my stuff to Goodwill? No. If I know someone who can use what I have (for example, toddler pajamas), I give them to that person directly. They'll probably eventually end up at Goodwill anyway :)

Do I donate to other thrift stores? No. But that is only because Goodwill is the closest store to me. I also love the Salvation Army, and they will come to your house and pick up stuff. They are also willing to accept used mattresses.

Right now, one of the dumpsters in my apartment complex is completely SURROUNDED by furniture. If someone doesn't pick it up, it will be thrown in the trash by management. It would be far more responsible to list stuff like that on freecycle or Craig's List, or if it's decent, to donate it to a thrift store.

So there it is. Goodwill -- not so mysterious -- and pretty green.

Speaking of green....
I saw a woman wearing a shirt that said "This white t-shirt is green" Hmmm... I assume that the shirt is organic or that funds were donated to some green cause. But the greenest fashion is used fashion. Check out Arduous' awesome green fashion tips.

The June Food Challenge starts tomorrow. Are you ready? Stop spending so much money on random food. Go as organic as possible (or at least think why you are not doing it), plan meals, and track expenses. I can't wait :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember as a kid "shopping" at the goodwill trucks at night with my mom and ripping open garbage bags full of clothes. I found a Madonna shirt once, it was a real thrill. I grew up poor then. They lock the donation sites now.

Grad Green said...

We used to shop the trash out at the curb... we called it trash picking. I think my parents got a lot of their storm windows that way. I remember finding toys.

Anonymous said...

I've always found it disturbing that in our land of abundance we tend to dispose of items so easily. Recycling is admirable and important. Why add to landfills when items have a second chance? About the furniture abandoned at your apartment complex, doesn't UT have a great recycling program for items left by students at the end of the school year? (See www.trashtotreasureut.com) Would that program include your complex? According to the website they pick up things at the end of the school year and then sell them to others in the fall. Sounds like a great plan to me and you can't beat it for ease. I think they even take stuff that needs repair, but I may be wrong.

Grad Green said...

Yes, UT does have a great program to prevent this end-of-semester problem. I think that it is not well-promoted at the apartments. There are posters all over campus, but I have not seen any here. (Some posters by the dumpsters would be very helpful.) For a while, the office people were picking up good furniture and making it available to new international students who move to Tx with nothing but a suitcase, but lately, I have seen them throwing stuff in the dumpster. It's a total waste.